The BHAS Annual Show will be held on Sunday, 12th September 2021 at Hertford Avenue Allotments, open to all.
More details to follow.
About the day
A highlight of the allotment year, the Annual Show is a great family day out. It’s a good opportunity to meet your fellow plot holders and enjoy some delicious food. We encourage everyone to participate and enter their plot grown produce. For anyone who hasn’t entered their plot gown fruit, vegetables, flowers or herbs before, please don’t be put off – this isn’t Chelsea Flower Show!
Your entries don’t have to be perfect – just remember:
- Biggest is not always best.
- Try to show entries that are pest and disease free.
- Where an entry comprises several items choose ones that are as near as possible the same size and shape.
- Give yourself plenty of time, and if you can, prepare at least some of your entries the night before.
- Read your schedule carefully and when you pick up your show cards on Sunday morning. Make sure to write your name clearly and put your exhibit in the right place.
- Finally, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
ANNUAL SHOW SCHEDULE AND CATEGORIES
- Aubergines x 2
- Peppers x 3
- Chili peppers x 4
- Beetroot x 4 – with 8cm of tops
- French Beans x 6 – any colour, any type (keep stalks on)
- Runner Bean x 6 (keep stalks on)
- Carrot x 4 – with 8cm carrot tops
- Courgette x 4
- Cucumber x 1
- Garlic x 3
- Marrow x 1- no longer than 38 cm (15 inches)
- Onions x 4 – outer skins only removed (leave 3 inches of stem)
- Shallots x 6
- Potatoes x 4
- Pumpkin / Squash x 1
- Sweetcorn x 2 (with outer leaves)
- Beef tomato x 4 – with stalks
- Cherry tomato x 6 – with stalks
- Medium tomato x 4 – with stalks
- Mixed vegetables – 1 each of 5 kinds (presentation up to you!)
- Any vegetable x 1 (this is for any vegetable NOT in the above categories)
- Biggest vegetable x 1
- Herbs in a jam jar – please write a list of the herbs you display and place with the jar
- Apples x 4
- Top fruit (pears, plums, quinces, etc.) any kind x 4
- Soft fruit, any kind x 10 (where possible leave stems)
- Any other fruit
28. Mixed flowers in a vase, arrange as you wish
29. A single variety of flowers in vase
30. Dahlias x 6 stems, same variety
31. Largest diameter Sunflower Head x 1
32. Tallest Sunflower plant inc. Head x 1
34a. Aged up to 10 years. Mini garden on a seed tray – create your own miniature garden.
34b. Aged 11 – 18 years. Mini garden on a seed tray – create your own miniature garden.
35a. Aged up to 10 years. Vegetable monster/pet – decorate and create using vegetables, fruit and/or herbs.
35b. Aged 11 – 18 years. Vegetable monster/pet – decorate and create using vegetables, fruit and/or herbs.
BHAS SOCIETY AWARDS
- Plot of the Year
- Best Newcomer’s Plot
- Show Person of the Year (for most points scored in show)
All entries must be correct to the schedule.
- A glass jar of homemade fruit jam, any kind
- A Victoria Sponge Cake – your family’s favourite recipe
- A glass jar of homemade chutney, any kind
Make us laugh
- ‘Make us laugh’ category for the funniest or weirdest shaped Vegetable or Fruit – open to all ages.