The Barnes Horticultural and Allotment Society (BHAS), the group that runs the East Sheen allotment sites, offers an annual membership to its plot holders. While membership to the society is not compulsory, if you have an East Sheen allotment plot, being a member provides many benefits to the allotment community as a whole.
How to Join
- It saves time and you don’t need to remember to complete a renewal form each year.
- It reduces the admin time for committee volunteers.
- It is safe, secure and the Direct Debit can be cancelled at any time.
- Find out more about Direct Debits.
- Convenient if you wish to make other purchases at the Trading Shed.
- For those who do not have email or do not wish to use Direct Debits.
*The membership renewal cycle begins in April 2021 as memberships run annually from 1 May to 30 April but you can join at any time throughout the year.
**Cash can be accepted at the Trading Shed while open.
The BHAS committee members are all volunteers and dedicate their time to manage the East Sheen Allotment sites; all membership funds go to maintain and better the allotment sites as well as organise community events (like the Open Day and the Annual Show).
The membership fee is nominal – about two or three cups of coffee or a selection of bulbs – and provides so many benefits for the allotment sites as well as discounts at the Trading Shed and local community. (However, if cost of membership is a concern, we encourage you to speak with us.)
Benefits of BHAS membership
Your annual membership benefits:
- Access to the Trading Shed where seeds, compost, and plants are sold at a discount from shop prices;
- A 10% discount at Adrian Hall, a local garden centre conveniently located on Upper Richmond Road near the allotment sites;
- The use of the hoppers at the Hertford Avenue and other sites for wood chip and logs;
Annual fees go to fund:
- Community events such as talks, May Open Day and the September Annual Show;
- Managing the trees, gates, and fences as well as the common areas of the allotment, including site entrances and central paths; and
- the rubbish bin;
- Liaises with the council to represent East Sheen allotments plot holder interests;
- Supports new allotment holders and allocates the new sites to wait list names provided by the council;
All members must follow the BHAS Members Code of Conduct.
If you have any further questions about membership, please contact us.